Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Street Haunting??

Ok.......so....um....yeah--that was rather...pointless maybe?? I was lost throughout the ENTIRE essay(well except for when I got the end) So I will really try to tell what I got from it.

The only part of it that I understood was at the end when it says,"to escape is the greatest of pleasure". That is actually true. It's always nice to escape every once in a while. I really appreciate the time I get to spend away from the busy things that go on throughout the day. and in the essay I guess this is what he was refering to when he uses the term "Street Haunting". But.....What was it about? Like, was the author trying to explain how people need to take time out sometimes to "step outside of ourselves". By this I mean, taking time away from our typical busy schedules of school, work, practice, social life, etc. to take a good look in on ourselves. If you are caught up in the actions of what you are doing on a day to day basis, it's clear to see how you could not see when you are stuck living in a really busy state of mind, rather than enjoying life.

A major thing the author focused on in the essay was the pencil. I do not think I really understood the full concept of this, other than he said it was used to give him an excuse to go out into the world.

But one scene stood out in particular to me. It was the scene when the dwarf tried on all the shoes and then went back out into the street and everyone joined in "the hobble and tap of the dwarf's dance." This scene was very random( like all the others if I may add) but for some reason, it was my favorite. It kind of reminded me of a circus. All of the people the author described for some reason described the characters in a freak circus. The two bearded men resting their head on a small boy was too close to "the bearded lady", or the really "tall man" in a circus. Using the little boy as his crutch I guess. Then the stout lady swathed tight in seal skin reminded me of the seal with the beach ball on top of his nose. There was also the old man on the doorstep seemed like the typical really old person in a freak circus.

But what does all this really mean???

No comments: